Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Milage Runs

I just found the upgrd podcast, today I listened to the first two episodes, one of which was about milage runs. I had heard the term, but didn't really know what it was all about, but now I do know...

People actually fly on planes simply to earn miles and achieve or maintain their elite airline status. They don't necessarily go anywhere, they just fly to one place using as many mile earning flights as possible and then go home. Seriously????

Q: So what did you do this weekend?
A: Flew to San Fran via 4 flights, then back home. No, I didn't get to see anything, just earning some miles...

It seems insane, is an elite lounge really worth that kind of committment? With my committment to earn airlines miles I'm wondering now if I've stepped into a world of crazy flying people. I'm fine with traveling to go see a place, but just for the sake of some miles? Wow, I'm a little concerned about this insane world, and possibly getting sucked into it. The last time I went away my sister had a comment on how many vacations I take, what would she say if I said I was just flying to earn miles and not actually seeing anything? Either way, I'm going to keep earning my miles so I can either get a free flight or an upgrade one of these days.

FYI, I got a confirmation from Delta about 48 miles I earned, baby steps.