Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More Epic Entertainment

In my last post I spoke about the entertainment on the EPIC, as in the shows.  In this post I'll cover the daytime entertainment.

Pools - There are two main pool areas on this ship.  I didn't spend much time in the main pool area, I found the music was often too loud and I found the pools were designed more for children then adults.  I think there were 4 hot tubs, but I'm not positive.  This area was adjacent to the buffet, so it had free drinks - tea, milk, water, iced tea.

I spent most of my time in Spice H2O, the adult pool area.  While there was normally music playing, it was at a reasonable volume.  The pool was small and at night it actually converted into a dance floor (the floor of the pool would go up and down, fancy technology I hear).  There were 2 hot tubs on each corner of the area with great views out the back of the ship.  There was also a small buffet in this area, but there were no drink offerings other then paid drinks at the bar.

I did spend some time on a top sun deck in the front of the ship, these areas do not have music, nor do they seem to have many kids.

The ship does have a topless deck and a "freestyle" deck.  I did not visit either, but I did hear through the grapevine that people do go completely nude on the "freestyle" deck.

There is also an area called Posh.  I may have the story wrong, but I thought this was either part of or included in the villa complex.  However, you could also pay around $100 for access during the cruise.  My understanding is that there was better chairs and better bar service.  I know one person who used this and enjoy it.

Slides - There were 3 slides on this ship, the main yellow one, a purple one and a green one.  I did not go in the purple or the green ones because they had cold water and it was already cold that day!  I did go in the big main yellow one, which some people have called a toilet bowl like slide.  This slide had warm water, yea! and you rode down it on a round float.  You have to get your float at the bottom of the slide so don't climb the stairs until you have your float!  Initially you go down a typical water slide shoot and then you end up in the "toilet bowl" and you go around 3 times before you get sucked down the final portion of the slide.  This slide was a lot of fun, though the 3 times in the toilet bowl might have been a little too much.  There were a lot of adults on line for the toilet bowl slide, it was that much fun!  I'm sure if there were a lot of children on the cruise or warmer out the line would have been crazy, it was long enough as it was.

Rock Climbing - The EPIC has a rock climbing and rappelling wall between the main pool area and Spice H2O.   I've only done rock climbing once, but it was only a few months before and I climbed all the basic and intermediate walls.  I decided to stick with the easy section on the ship.  The wall was shorter, but it wasn't EASY.  For someone who has never rock climbed before, this would be a tough wall and I doubt they would make it to the top.  But for beginner rock climber it would be a challenge.  I never made it back to the rock climbing to try another wall though.  But it was fun and a nice break for the day, especially if it's not a hot day.  You do not need to bring your own shoes for this, but you need socks.  You will also need to sign and electronic waiver before climbing.

Nickelodeon - Being an adult I didn't truly partake in the Nickelodeon events.  There was a breakfast a couple mornings on the ship and then there were meet and greets a few afternoons.  I did stop by one of the meet and greets.  I was hoping to get a picture with Spongebob for my nephew, but they only had Dora characters that day.  If you can't do the special Nickelodeon cruise they have, the breakfasts and the meet and greets are a nice treat for your little (or big) Nickelodeon fans.  The only thing I would have preferred is if they said who was going to be at the meet and greets.


Ice Bar - The ship has a Svedka Ice Bar, the first at sea!  There is an additional charge for this venue, $20 on my sailing which includes 2 drinks.  I had been in an Ice Bar in Stockholm, which I thought was better then this bar, but since this was on a cruise ship, it's kinda cooler!  When you go you get a silver poncho style coat and gloves.  After you dress up a photographer will take pictures and then you go in.  I think you're allowed in for 40 minutes, but I'm not sure many people make it the full 40 minutes, it is cold in there!  I was wearing a dress (not recommended) and socks.  Inside the bar there is a ice bar, ha ha, 2 or 3 ice benches and 2 ice sculptures, one was a bear and I think the other was a viking, maybe.  Most of the ice surfaces had a covering on them, plastic on the bar and a furry thing on the benches.


Menu


Bowling - The ship had 2 sets of lanes for bowling.  I only saw the one in O'Sheehans used once or twice.  They had neon lights and offered shoe rental.  On a more relaxing cruise this might have been a fun option.


Watch Sale - I'm not sure if a watch sale is actual entertainment, but this somehow felt a bit like it.  They offer like 60% off watches and people act like they're giving them away.  It was actually a bit frightening. I tried to look and thought about getting a watch, but the lines were so long and the people were acting like animals so I passed on the watch.  I recommend watching people at the watch and buy a watch somewhere else.