Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Disney adventure begins

Mom and I flew down to Disney on Jetblue on a Wednesday from T5 at JFK. I've been through T5 previously, and it's a pretty good terminal as far as terminals go. I do find the fast food area a little crammed and offered a strange selection. While there is a Dunkin Donuts, it only serves donuts and muffins - no breakfast sandwiches. The whole set-up is a little uncomfortable. You go to different counters or to the tables/refrigerated boxes and pick out your food, then go to a seperate area to pay. It's just overwhelming if you have luggage with you that you're dragging around.

The other thing I don't like is that there is no Hudson News. I like the extremely large selection of magazines they offer. T5 only has a Borders books (no magazines) and a CNBC with a moderate selection of magazines.

Our flight to Orlando was on one of Jetblue's Embraer 190's. My sister has a thing about these smaller planes, but I liked that I was sitting with just my Mom and not in a middle seat with a stranger next to me. The flight was uneventful - I got my chips, drink and watched TV.
Upon landing things got a little more interesting. After getting our luggage in Terminal A we had to find the Magical Express counter; however, it was in Terminal B which I didn't know until wandering around Terminal A for 10 minutes. My luggage didn't weigh too much, until I had to drag it all around the airport. We finally found Magical Express and since we weren't booked on the hotel room we had to pay $20 each to ride. Fortunately, we only waited about 10 minutes for the bus and the kids on the bus weren't annoying.
My sister met us with the baby, Matty, at the bus drop off and took us up to the room. The Boardwalk Villa's was very nice at first glance, and I got to see lots of since our room was at the end of a hallway. The balcony overlooked the back of the slide. That night we had reservations for dinner at Wolf Gang Puck at Downtown Disney. I got a BBQ Chicken pizza, it was good, but not great. I think everyone else liked there dinner, but no one found the place great. I wouldn't
add it to my list of places I would like to go to on the next trip, I would rather try a different restaurant.

After dinner we went to a place where my nephew Alex got to make his very own car. It's similar to a Build a Bear, but with cars. So you pick a basic car, and you can get away with just that for $15-$30. But of course you'll want the special tires, and stickers and the remote control - you get the idea. Then they put your car together for you, with your assistance if you want.

So far things were going ok, although the sleeping arrangements of my mom, nephew and I on a fold out couch kept me from being well rested.