Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TBEX10 - New York City

This weekend I attended TBEX in New York City.  Only having this blog for a year or so and only a handful of readers I that I know of, I have to admit - I felt like a little giraffe in a giant Savanna with the Big 5.  Or is it the big 4?  Who cares - giraffes aren't part of either one of them.

It was really interesting there though on several levels - meeting people, watching people and learning about blogging.

When I got on line on Saturday morning I realized I had made a big mistake.  I had a good reason, but it was still a mistake.  I didn't go to any of the pre-parties.  My good reason - I get up at 4am to work in Brooklyn and leave work by 2pm and usually crash by 9pm.  It's not a good shift for party people.  Plus the whole dragging myself back into the city, blah blah blah.  But I realized on line that there were a lot of people who knew each other already and many from the party the night before.  I'm a shy person at times, so this was a difficult social setting for me.  I did manage to meet some people and make connections but not as much as I had hoped.

But I did enjoy watching some of the "rock stars" of the travel blogging world.  The first day at lunch Johnny Jet really struck me.  He had an almost childlike exuberance, and I mean that in a good way.  He was taking pictures and did it with no constraints on him - you could tell he was enjoying taking pictures and trying different angles without a thought as to the people around him.  Then there were the ever evolving groups of "rock stars" you would see talking - Don George, and David Farley or Chris Christensen and Craig and Linda from the Indie Travel Podcast.  There were many others, though I'm surprised now how many I totally missed, especially the ones I would have liked to have met.

I learned a lot though too, I'm going to try and take my writing in a different direction - write with more purpose.  It will take more work, but then again if I want to make a go of this blog then I have to put in the work.  I also realized why every video I take sucks - I'm just video taping stuff that strikes me, not with a purpose.  I don't think I'm going to get into video anyway, but I think when I do take video it will be better quality.  Then there's the concept of branding and finding a niche - I think it's easier to explain what I don't write about and I'm ok with that, but I think I will try to tighten things up with my content.  I don't think I learned much about self promotion though - I didn't do a very good job of it myself - or maybe that was what I learned.

Then there was the community keynote - someone described it as bedtime stories for travelers and the description was too true.  Heck, if I wanted I could have taken a nap.  Not that the stories were boring, but it was so mellow and I was so tired.

All in all though TBEX was interesting, educational and a good opportunity to meet people.  Will I be attending next year in Vancouver though?  I'm not sure, I have to see where the blog goes and what is going on in the next few months, but I wouldn't rule anything out.  But if you read, I'm more likely to go, so READ!!!!

And a big thanks to Kim Mance who made it all happen.