Friday, March 23, 2012

Who or What is The Traveling Giraffe?

I've been writing this blog for a few years now and I'm not sure if I've ever really wrote about who or what The Traveling Giraffe is.

I had first made a website for myself back in 1999, just a few pictures to update my friends on what I was doing after college.  It grew a bit once something interesting was happening - travel.  Then I started to read travelogues and take some tours, I decided that I wanted to write travelogues about my own tours.  I set up a website at giraffegirl.net and kept it up for a few years (it's currently hosted on a friends website).  But there's a funny thing about travelogues, they stop when the trip stops.  No room for growth, so here I am writing a blog.

But, The Traveling Giraffe?

In 2006 after finishing my tour through Scandinavia I was walking through the main train station in Copenhagen when I saw it, a small giraffe.  I bought him and named him after our day song through Russia - Rasputin.  Not too long after that I realized that this would be my travel buddy, like the Roaming Gnome from Travelocity.  I could take pictures of him while I traveled to break up the monotony of pictures of me or pictures without me. 

When I needed a name for my blog I went through a lot of ideas, but I decided that Rasputin could be my partner in writing the blog.  He's been kinda useless, being stuffed and all, but it's still fun trying to figure out new ways to take pictures of him.

Rasputitn does have his own Flikr account if you want to see his travels.