Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dining in Walt Disney World - February Edition

On my February trip to Disney World I tried a couple new restaurants and got to re-visit a few too.

Kona Cafe - This was a new restaurant for me located at the Polynesian Resort.  I had breakfast and lunch here with mixed results.  Breakfast was quick with good food.  Lunch wasn't as good.  The menu didn't appeal to me and my lunch was actually pretty bad.  I got a steak salad, the salad dressing wasn't to my taste, and the steak was terrible.  It was very fatty and tough.  I should have gotten a cheeseburger.

Ohana - A new restaurant for dinner for me (breakfast a few years ago was a different experience).  This is similar to one of those meatfest restaurants (aka Brazilian steak houses).  This was actually a very nice dinner, the salad and bread were tasty without being too exotic.  The veggies were fresh and the meats were tender and tasty.  I would recommend this to the meat lovers out there. 

Biergarten - I was here in 2007 and I wasn't very hungry when we went to eat, but I enjoyed the food anyway.  My biggest complaints are that the band was a little too loud and the desserts weren't very exciting.  But I looved the pretzel bread!  Not a good restaurant choice if you want a private dining experience, you will be seated with strangers unless you have a group of 8 or more.

50's Prime Time Cafe - I was here in 2007 and it was more low key then I remember.  The food here was good, my nephew loved his kid's meatloaf because it was shapped like a meatball.  While the restaurant still has that 50's Mom's kitchen theme to it, I remember it being a lot more fun the last time I was here.  While they told you the "rules" here they did not enforce them.  For some that's a good thing, but in terms of a dining experience, it's lost its edge. 

Whispering Canyon - Located at Wilderness Lodge I was also here in 2007.  This is a fun place to take the kids (ok, maybe not teens though), there is a whole gimick around ketchup, which we all got a laugh at.  The BBQ dinner is excellent, but a lot of food, everything tasted good.  I particularly liked the salad and the pulled pork.  The last time I was here there was an area in the back that was a little quieter, a good option if you're not into the whole running around with ketchup thing.

It's a ketchup thing
One other observation I had that was specific to dining was that I found myself singing Happy Birthday a lot.  I've never been in a restaurant for someone elses birthday at Disney before, but I found myself near at least 3 birthdays on this trip - it was fun though when a whole restaurant would sign Happy Birthday to a stranger.

You can follow me on Twitter at:  @Travelingiraffe