Friday, March 2, 2012

Travel Tip: Money Belt

This week I'm recommending a money belt, the little pouch you wear under your clothes. 

On my first trip to Europe I wore mine religiously, on my last trip, I wore it occasionally.  The years of travel have made me lazy and overconfident.  That and the fact that I work in NYC and on a good day zip up my purse, but haven't been robbed (knock on wood).

But I think the money belt has a very important role in travel.  When we travel our brains seem to go on vacation too, a money belt helps us protect ourselves from our vacation brain.  We're also in a strange environment, the signals we normally look for in life may be different in our new environment.  A money belt become a way to protect our valuables (not just your money). 

What do I ususally put in my money belt?
Extra money (my daily cash is kept in my wallet)
Passport (unless I expect to use it)
Extra Credit Card and/or ATM card
Hotel/tour information
Full camera memory cards

But here's the thing with the money belt, you have to use it properly.  It's not just a fanny pack that fits under your clothes.  You're supposed to put it on and not access it in public.  Too many times I see people acting as though it's just another pocket.  But if you go into it in a public place you've just told your would be robber where your good stuff is.  You should only access your money belt in a private place or around people you trust. 

The one I've had for years is a little cotton one, but I know they make water resistant ones, probably a good idea if you're in a hot and humid climate.

Does anyone else use a money belt? When?