Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dining in Walt Disney World

On my December trip I tried a few new restaurants at Disney - here's the run down:

Via Napoli - I went here as part of the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package so based on a pure price standpoint, it was overpriced.  But I paid for seating at the Candlelight Processional too.  The food was very good.  My friend and I both had Pizza and the tomato and mozzarella appetizer.  The server was cute, actually they all were.  This place has good food but even better eye candy.

Hollywood Brown Derby - This is a pricey restaurant at the Hollywood Studios, but it had a nice atmosphere since it replicated the Brown Derby in Hollywood.  The food here is fabulous.  I split a salad with my friend and it was the perfect size and delicious and the pork was the best pork I've ever had in my life.  I didn't care for the grapefruit cake though.  My server was also excellent, making this a great dining experience.

The Plaza - Located in the Magic Kingdom, but a bit hidden from view just off Main Street was underwhelming.  While the prices were some of the most reasonable I paid in Disney World, the food was no better then I found in quick service places and my waitress was barely average.  I've heard good things about The Plaza, but I don't plan to go back anytime soon.


Portobello - Located in Downtown Disney I thought was was good, but not great Italian food.  Living near NYC I know good Italian food and this was just ok.  I think if you're used to Olive Garden or other chain Italian you'll enjoy the food here.  But if you're picky about your Italian then you should probably skip eating Italian in  Disney World.

Coral Reef - Located in Epcot and set back a bit from the action this restaurant is hard to find if you arne't looking for it.  Yet it's a busy place.  The theme is that you're eating under the sea in a coral reef, the entertainment here are the fish in the tanks that line one wall of the resturant.  The food here was very good, my friend and I both had steaks (yes, we had steak in a seafood restaurant).  The food was tasty and the wait staff good. 

Captains Grille - Located at Yacht Club this was an accidental meal, our last lunch in Disney World.  My friend is allergic to crab and when she asked for her burger without crab meat on it the waitress insisted on having the chef come out.  The chef was really nice and made our burgers to order, they were the best burgers we had on-property. 

Chef Mickeys - A buffet located at The Contemporary Resort featuring the Fab 5 (Mickey, Minni, Donald, Goofy and Pluto).  I've eaten here before and had a pretty similar expereience.  The buffet is ok and the character interaction great.  If you want to see the Fab 5 this is a great option, if you want good food I would choose a different restaurant.

Cinderella's Royal Table - My friend and I choose this for the venue and the chance to meet the princesses.  A good but expensive breakfast, the venue and the characters are what make this worth the price tag.  When you enter you get a photo (included in the price) with Cinderella and then princesses come around during the meal for photos, we met Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle, and Ariel.  Our waiter was very good and friendly.  The character interaction was a little weird, I'm not used to interacting with face characters and I'm not sure I was a fan of it.  But the girls all did a nice job.  It was a fun once or twice in a lifetime experience.
Don't forget you can follow me on Twitter: Travelingiraffe