Monday, August 10, 2009

California Highlights Part 5 - More San Fran

The first thing we had to do this morning was say goodbye to the those who had done the LA to the Bay tour, this was the end of their tour. Then we were off to breakfast (the best breakfast of the tour) at Pier 39 and then take the 9am ferry to Alcatraz. After breakfast we had some time to goof off and take some silly picture.

At Alcatraz we did one of those tours where you rent the headphones and it tells you stuff, I found this whole thing exciting since I was interested in prisons when I was in college. This was a highlight of my trip. We also went on part of a live tour of the underground that the Military had used before it was a Federal Prison.

After Alcatraz we went over to the Ghirardelli factory shopping center thing, which was very nice. After that I was starving so my group broke off and I went off with the kookie guy from Vegas for lunch. We ended up at some quaint little restaurant where the guy working their thought we were a couple, then thought we were with a church group, then that we were gay. It was an interesting lunch. Then we headed up to Lombard Street where we ran into other people from the tour, it's amazing how small a city becomes when you're on a tour. At this point I went back to sightseeing with my regular group and we headed off to Chinatown on the cable cars. It was a nice ride through the city. After Chinatown we saw some other stuff, Coit Tower, Washington Church (I think that's the name), and the Trans American Pyramid.

After touring the city we went back to the hotel to chill a bit then went to dinner with a bunch of people, after wandering a bit we finally found a place to eat. After dinner some went in the hotel hot tub and there was a room party where I heard some guy in the hotel had been arrested while someone on the tour was on the phone with his mother in Australia. Good times had by all!