Sunday, August 23, 2009

Travel Tip: Booking connecting flights

For my trip to Knoxville and then to Pittsburgh I had to book two sets of connecting flights. Apparently US Air has the cheapest prices but no non-stops.

After narrowing down times that would work for my I looked at stopover times. Many different flight options had similar total times, but the amount of time of the stop over was was different depending on where I was flying in and out of. I opted for the flights with the longest stopovers. It's not that I like long stop overs but rather my concern with missing my connecting flight. With how often flights are delayed any stopover less then an hour made me nervous. While it's handy to get off one plane and hop on the next, it's not so good if you end up missing your next flight. I ended up with a 2 hour and an hour and a half stop over. Now I need to keep my fingers crossed! 

I ended up making all of my connections, some more comfortably then others.  In the future I will continue to look for layovers on the longer side, or at least make sure I know that there are more flight options if I miss my connecting flight.