Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kona, Hawaii

On the 5th day of my cruise we visited Kona on the Big Island. Although we had to tender at this port I still loved this place. Once off the tender the town of Kona is a block away and the beach is even closer. The beach isn't the best the island has to offer, but if you're not looking for a full beach day the beach here was very convenient. As and added bonus there were several girls who worked on the ship that was laying out there so I got to hear some of the cruise ship gossip. I didn't learn anything about the waiter I had at dinner the night before, but got a glimpse of what life is like for the staff. They make more money and work harder in Hawaii then in Europe, and working during dry dock is fun and has short days.

After Tara and I visited the beach we took a walk down the main street of Kona. This part of the port reminded me of some of the Caribbean islands I've been to like St. Maarten. Lots of touristy shops and places to eat. While that doesn't seem riveting it does have a nice feel, especially when there is nothing near you at other ports. Tara and I did have an afternoon glass bottom boat excursion. While it wasn't a highlight like Hana was, it was nice and relaxing and since it was the last boat of the day it wasn't crowded.

The other thing worth mentioning about Kona is that it is the "nicer" side of the Big Island. The weather is better, the port area is much nicer and this is the stop where you get to do several different types of water activities - snorkeling, Atlantis Submarine, Snuba, Catamaran sailing, para sailing, and more.