Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shedd and Field Museums

When I was in Chicago I bought the Citypass for the fast pass entry to the Willis Tower, so I naturally decided to explore some of the other sites included with he Citypass, I decided on Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum.

Shedd Aquarium is considered one of the best aquariums in the country.  As far as fish in giant fish tanks, this is not the best aquarium I have been to.  But this aquarium also had a dophin and beluga whale show which was very well done in low lighting (meaning not good photos).  They also had a nice exhibit on Jellies. I recommend taking a look at what the special exhibits are before you go, there are several different levels of tickets, knowing what is offered before you go will make purchasing tickets much easier.  Also, arrive a few minutes early to the dophin and beluga whale show, it can fill up pretty quickly and is worth seeing.  I was not impressed with the dining options here, they were quite weak for such a busy museum.  But do not forget to visit the store, they have the best museum shirts I have ever seen!




Field Museum is a natural history museum with exhibits on dinosaurs, Egypt and Genghis Khan.  The only dinosaur I saw was Sue, she's hard to miss being in the lobby and all, and she's a pretty cool dinosaur.  After snapping some pictures of her I went to my Egypt movie that was included in my ticket, it was a pretty good show for all ages.  After that I went through the Egypt exhibit, which included a tomb that was moved from Egypt.  It wasn't terribly big, but it was cool to walk through and then you can climb stairs and look down at it, a very different view then you usually get.  The rest of the Egypt exhibit was good, not as expansive as you would see at The Met in NYC, but still they had a nice selection of pieces.  I also went to the Genghis Khan special exhibit, I'm don't know his history that well, but I believe he has a very bad reputation.  The exhibit really tried to show the positive side of his life, I wonder how someone who knows his history would have viewed the exhibit?  I thought the exhibit had a lot of interesting stuff, and it piqued my interest to learn a little more about him.