Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Minne Ha Ha and a Lost Lens Cap

Back in August when I went to Lake George I did one of the popular lake cruises, a lunch cruise on the Lac du Saint Sacrement with the Lake George Steamboat Company.  There are several cruise offerings in Lake George, just cruises, lunch cruises, and dinner cruises.  My friend and I choose the lunch cruise, not our best choice.


The experience started with trying to book our cruise.  We had a coupon and we wanted to book separately, but only had 1 coupon.  We did ask if this would be a problem before and were told it was fine.  Umm, 10 minutes later we left the counter and decided we should board early because there was no way this reservation was made right.  

We had been told to arrive an hour early, which we did.  Our reservation was screwed up, but I think she made our party bigger so it didn't end up being an issue. Once seated we were allowed to approach the buffet, we had a waitress who brought us drinks, dessert and cleared our table.  To start the chicken soup didn't look good.  The buffet food was ok.  There was a lot of bread and sliced meats.  Then there was a hot pasta, sliced beef and salad.  None of it was bad, but none of it was terribly good either.  Though I did see lots of people doing the buffet thing - filling their plates and going back for more.  

We were done eating around the time we set sail so we spent most of the trip on a top deck watching the beautiful coastline of the lake.  And this was what made the trip worth it, I got to dream about being rich enough to own one of those houses!  Ok, if I was that rich I would buy my house somewhere else, but I could rent one of those or stay at a really nice hotel for an occasional trip up there!  

But we also saw the Minne Ha Ha, another boat with the Lake George Steamboat Company, that doesn't serve lunch.  We should have done that cruise and had lunch in town, we had some great meals in Lake George, but not on the Lac du Saint Sacrement.  But the cruise was fun and relaxing.

I'll throw in a funny story, it's only funny because it has a happy ending.  I was taking the lens cap off my camera while standing at the edge of the boat and promptly dropped it.  Instead of landing in the lake it landed on the edge of the boat.  It was saved!  Now I just had to find someone to get it for me.  I did work it out with a member of the staff to get it when we got back to Lake George, but luckily the boat pulled in so that my lens cap was right next to the dock.  I love a happy ending!