Friday, December 16, 2011

Guest Post: Visiting Boston, Massachusets

A visit to Boston is always a great diversion for me. I live near Providence, so, a day trip to Beantown is accessible almost anytime. Traffic and parking can be a huge hassle. However, once you get by that hurdle, visiting this vibrant, diverse,exciting city is always fun.

This city is a major worldwide destination. It is many different attractions. I recently took a trip to an area called Cambridge. It is situated in the greater Boston area. Cambridge is most famous for being the home of some of the world's most prestigious institutions of higher learning including Harvard, and The Massachusetts Institute of Technology. A walking tour of Harvard is a must. It provides a insightful look at our nation's early history. I visited the area where George Washington took command of the colonial army in our fight for independence against Great Britain, and I touched the foot of the John Harvard statue for luck, I guess. If touching his foot was supposed to make you smarter, it didn't work for me.

The Charles River, the major interior waterway of Boston, runs right by Cambridge. Sail boats, skull boats and kayaks abound in the Charles. There is a terrific pastry shoppe in close by called "Finale's" where all sorts of delectable treats are sold. Pick out your favorite sweet, which can be a daunting task in itself, and take the short walk to the nearby grassy riverbank. It is a great way to kick back and relax.

Shopping in the trendy and upscale shops along Newbury and Tremont Streets is another experience not to be missed; at least that is what the women tell me.

Venerable Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, is very close and worth a walk-by. Tickets for a game are hard to come by, but there is nothing like the atmosphere around Fenway before game time. Landsdowne Street comes alive with vendors hawking thier goods , the distinctive scent of a Fenway Franks wafts through the air, and the crack of the bat when players take batting practice are all experiences particular to Fenway.

Paul Revere
Boston has many interesting and diverse neighborhoods. Beacon Hill is one of them. Beacon Hill is well known for its prominent brownstones that are home to some of the more financially well-heeled Bostonians. Much of the real estate on Beacon Hill is valued in the millions of dollars. A stroll through gives an insight on "how the other half lives". Boston is a city the can be described as the birthplace of the American Revolution. There are many famous landmarks that I visited on a walk throughout the city on what is known as the Freedom Trail. The Freedom Trail includes stops at the Paul Revere house, the Old North Church, Bunker Hill, The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), Fanueil Hall (the cradle of Liberty), Boston Harbor, the site of the Boston Massacre, the old State House. All of these attractions are very interesting and, if you are a American History aficionado, this walk is a must-do.

The most perfect way for me to end a busy day in Boston, is to stroll from Quincy Market up to the Italian North End neighborhood and eat at one of the many restaurants Hanover street, and its surroundings, abound with a myriad of choices from the quick and easy Italian pannini shops to more formal ristorantes or trattorias. It is almost impossible to make a bad decision when visiting the North End. A side note for all of those with a sweet tooth, Mikes's Pastry and Modern

Bakery offer the most delectable Italian dolci (sweets). The greater Boston area offers the visitor host of different and interesting experiences. If you get a chance to visit, do not hesitate. You will love it.

Bio: My name is Shane McCormick. I am the owner of NationalRVParks.com. I'm in my late 20's and I enjoy travel. I write about my various travel experiences. I offer tips and hints about my travel destinations. Please follow me on Twitter and Friend Me on FaceBook!