Friday, December 2, 2011

Harry Potter Inspires me to travel

I always love when one of my passions meets another passion.  In the last few weeks I've become obsessed with Harry Potter.  I finally sat down and watched the movies and fell in love with the series, now I'm reading the books.  But how does this connect with travel?

2 Ways -

First, my friend Terye and I are going to Disney World next week and I hadn't given any real thought to visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  I wasn't really into the series and Terye can't do thrill rides.  But as I got sucked in, I started to rethink this, I knew Terye was into Harry Potter so I asked.  And we have made one of our days a Harry Potter Day!  Yea!  Just trying to decide if I should buy a Harry Potter Robe to wear or if that was too much.  Hey, we're going to experience the place, since we can't do the rides anyway.

Second, it made me think about money and the things we value in life.  I have friends who say, "I don't have the money to travel." No, actually they choose other things in life over travel - fancy apartments, clothing, gadgets.  And that's fine, we all decide what is important to us.

Back to Harry Potter and his friends the Weasley's.  For those of you unfamiliar with the books, the Weasley's are a poor wizarding family with lots of kids, and are picked on for it.  In the second book the Weasley's win some money and after setting aside money for what they needed they took the rest of the money and took the family on vacation for the summer.  They could have spent the money on fixing their house, or buying new books instead of used books, but they chose to spend the money on their family and on having an experience in Egypt together.  It warmed my heart!

So stop buying expensive designer clothes and spend your money visiting the Wizarding World or Harry Potter!  Er, or go do whatever the heck you want, just make sure you enjoy life in the process.