Thursday, September 22, 2011

Norway's Maritime History or Not

I'm watching a Rick Steve's video podcast about Norway's Maritime History, the museums in Bygdoy.  I was in Oslo when I took a Contiki tour back in 2006 and I went to Bygdoy, but I never went to any of the museums there, so as I'm watching this I was thinking - I didn't see that.  As opposed to the joy I get when I watch shows and say "I've been there!"

Where I hung out instead, not too bad!
The reason I didn't go is that I'm not really in Viking History, I'm into all sorts of history, but more modern history topics.  And I like boats and the sea, but when I walked up to the museums and saw how much money they wanted, I decided that this wasn't what I came to see, I wanted to see the beauty of Scandinavia. 

In the end I don't regret my decision, I saw what I wanted to see in Scandinavia - beauty!  Sometimes I think I should have gone to one of these museums, but I don't have a feeling of regret about it.  I think we all need to have goals in our trips, maybe it's seeing the Mona Lisa or the Vatican, or maybe you just want to relax and you can count your success with how many pina colladas you had on the beach.  In the end the only person you need to satisfy with your trip is you, so do what you want to do, even if it means skipping the major sites of a location.