Thursday, September 1, 2011

British Museum

Rosetta Stone
The first time I visited London I didn't have much interest in the British Museum.  But on my trip last year it was at the top of the list.  The difference?  I had been to Egypt and wanted to see the Rosetta Stone

The British Museum is great.  The main atrium was large and open with lots of natural light.  There were also benches where you could rest while you planned your attack on the museum. 

Off the main room is the Rosetta Stone, other then being a big rock with 3 languages (Dolmotic, Greek, Hyroglypyics) on it, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Well, it is a BIG rock with tiny print on it, I think that was what surprised me most.  In the Egyptian temples hyroglyphics are so large, but on the Rosetta Stone it was tiny. 

I did visit the rest of the Egyptian exhibit, which had some really impressive pieces.  The collection wasn't even close to as large as The Met in New York City.  But, the pieces were better, if you don't factor in that the Met has a temple.  Hmmm, Temple vs Rosetta Stone - I think Rosetta Stone wins for it lasting influence.   

Next I went to the Greek exhibits, which were impressive in the calabre of the art - heck when you steal from the Parthenon you will get some good art.  But like most ancient greek art, it wasn't in great condition - missing arms, legs, heads, etc.  Don't get me wrong, what they had was well cared for, it just hadn't lasted the test of time before being rescued for the elements. 

After this I decided to head back to my hotel.  After flying in that morning, and visiting St. Paul's I was a bit exhausted.  But for the price of FREE - the British Museum is more then a bargain!  I did hear that the British govenrment is considering charging to visit the British Museum, so if you're to London soon that should definately be high on your list.

Reminder: I can be found on Twitter @Travelingiraffe