Friday, September 17, 2010

Reflecting on London

A week or so ago I was discussing my upcoming trip with my boss.  He lived in London about 30 years ago, maybe more and told me a bit about his time there.  First, he almost never saw Buckingham Palace.  It wasn't until he was about to leave and mentioned it to a colleague who proceeded to turn the car around and take him to see Buckingham Palace.  Also, you couldn't find a good burger there, it wasn't until the Hard Rock Cafe opened up that you could find a good burger in the city.  I found that pretty funny since it's now considered a tourist spot.  But at the time that was the first and only Hard Rock Cafe and the only place with a good burger.

His reflections of London remind me of my short time there.  It's a city where I saw my own personal growth as a traveler.  My first day there I was terrified of getting lost, almost didn't hop off the hop on and off bus I went on.  At the end of a 2 week tour I was back in London and feeling much bolder.  I decided to go to the London Eye, bought myself a tube pass, mapped my route and did it, even put in a stop in Trafalgar Square to stop at a market.  In Trafalgar Square I had this realization of how far I had come and how much more confident I was.  I started to hyperventilate and it felt great!