Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Prepping for your trip

Ok, I guess this is more about ME prepping for my trip to England and Scotland with Contiki in September.  I don't think I've mentioned this trip, but in June I finally booked this 12 day trip that starts in London and ends in Glasgow.  I plan to spend an extra day in London before the trip and am still pondering my post tour plans. 

I'm listening to one of Rick Steves' Audio tours of the British Museum - one of my must visits during my trip.  The reason I want to go is to see the Rosetta Stone.  I have to admit, other then the Rosetta Stone being there I didn't have a clue what else might be in this museum - but now I do.  I think I will need to budget a little more time then I originally thought.  Apparently there is lots of stuff in the Egypt section of the museum and since I love Egypt I'll have a lot of looking to do.

I was quite surprised by how much I picked up from an audio tour of a place I'm not actually at.  Rick gives great descriptions and tells interesting stories of the history of Egypt.  AND, he's amusing.  I wouldn't go so far as to say funny, but definitely has a couple corny and amusing spots in it.  I think this audio tour will be great when I'm actually at the museum, and will be great to listen to when I get home to remind me of my trip through the museum.

In the past I haven't spent a ton of time preparing for a trip - other then getting hotels, airfares and making a rough itinerary.  I thought it was time to get a better idea of the things that I actually plan to see while there.  This will give me an idea of the significance of the places, an idea of how long I need to spend there and what areas of it I want to concentrate.  I have no doubt that I could spend days at the British Museum, but I'll have to make choices about what I want to see on this trip so that I can see some of the other things London has to offer.