Friday, May 20, 2011

Randomly interesting things to me

Contiki has announced South America as a destination.  Hmmm, Iguza Falls and Machu Pichu are calling my name.  Sadly, I'm turning 35 this year so I don't know if I'll have a chance to take one of these tours, or any more tours with Contiki for that matter :(

The May 1 episode of Amazing Race - how awesome - they got dropped on the Matterhorn and had to either rescue someone by rappelling or dig a dummy out of the snow.  Ok, I think it was much more awesome to watch someone do it while laying on my couch then it would be to actually do it.  Have I mentioned I don't like the cold?

My Brother-In-Law who doesn't have a clue about travel talks to me about travel as though he knows stuff.  The guy couldn't figure out how to get his cruise documents and it was a week before the cruise.  Actually, I don't think it even occurred to him that he needed them.  But he and my sister did enjoy the cruise, they were on the Norwegian Gem for a 1 night cruise.  They said there was every walk of life on the cruise - solo passengers, families with young kids, bachelor and bachelorette parties - you name it, it was there. 

Jetblue's website - when you track a flight you can actually pull up a map that shows where the plane is over the United States, I thought that was cool!  My other sister thought it was stalkerish. 

In Rick Steves' latest podcast (#246) his guest said something interesting.  He was discussing the European Union and freedom.  He said American's think of "freedom to..." (bare arms, press, speech, etc).  Europeans think of "freedom from..." (war, starving, etc).  I thought that was an interesting distinction.  I'm not sure how true it is, but it does it certainly made me think of what I value and how I view it.