Friday, May 13, 2011

Giraffe, The Restaurant

About a year before I went to London my friend mentioned that there were "giraffes everywhere" in London - he was referring to the restaurant chain, Giraffe.  I was instantly intrigued and quickly fell in love with Giddy the Giraffe. 

I managed to visit 3 different Giraffe's when I was in London:  Southbank Center, Russell Square (which is not called Russell Square but is near there), and Heathrow. 

It's a cute little cafe type of restaurant with a long menu of English food - I didn't have any great meals there, the menu had a lot of foods that just didn't appeal to me.  The food itself was good, but not great.  I also didn't get to see Giddy.  But the locations were great - Southbank center is a short walk from the London Eye and in a nice shopping/eating mecca where you could tell it was more of a local place then a tourist place.  The one near Russell Square was in a pedestrian mall with other restaurants and shops - another great location that doesn't scream tourist. 

But the true highlight was when I was at Heathrow and decided to get a smoothie - it was delicious!  I drink a lot of smoothies and this one was really really good.  I'm sorry I hadn't gotten one on my previous trips as I probably would have had a better opinion of the restaurant.


Overall, I wouldn't suggest anyone run there, I would check out the menu and if you see something that intersts you, then go.  If nothing interests you on the menu, go to a pub and get fish and chips.  But if you love giraffes, like me, then go, if nothing else the theme is fun.