Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Disneyland in review


I've just gotten back from my trip to Disneyland, that's the one in California.  It was my first time there, but I had heard it wasn't as good as Disney World, for many reasons.  It's smaller, it doesn't have that Disney bubble effect that you get in Florida, and it's just not as cool.  Of course I know there are people who disagree.  I think that for as similar as the two places are, they both offer something a little different.

I was there for 2 days, I spent the first day at Disneyland and the second at Disney's California Adventure (DCA). 

My first impression when I walked into Disneyland was, "that's the castle?  That's not a castle!"  There was a smaller feeling to everything, from the view of the train station when you first arrive, Main Street and the castle.  It was particularly weird since things also felt so familiar too, but was still different.  Overall the whole park felt a little smaller.  I'm not sure how much smaller the park is compared to the Magic Kingdom, but the walkways all felt smaller, and some of the lands felt smaller too.  I did like New Orleans Square.  As the day went on though the smaller feel of the park started to grow on me, the park felt more intimate then the Magic Kingdom.

As for DCA, it's one big giant construction project so I didn't get a real feel for it.  I do however think that DCA had MUCH better rides and attractions - Soarin, Tower of Terror, Toy Story, California Screamin and Aladdin.  As for the theming, it was good, but not as strong as the parks in Florida.  I thought the Hollywood section was well themed, but some of the rides were kind of hidden, rides that were closed weren't well marked.  A Bugs Land was well done, though the rides were really just for kids so I didn't spend much time there.  Paradise Peir was nice, the theme was well done, but it didn't feel as rich as many of the other themes I've seen in Disney parks.  As for Condor Flats and the Grizzley Recreation areas - while I noticed a difference in the areas, it didn't feel like the areas were that well themed and distinct.  World of Color is a fantastic show that I really enjoyed.

Overall I had a great time on this trip, I will talk more about it in future posts.  I felt like Disneyland was a bit underwhelming, though I could certainly see areas where Walt made noticeable improvements for the Magic Kingdom.  DCA provided great rides, but not so great of an experience, hopefully that will change once the expansion and upgrades are completed.  I do feel like the Disneyland vs Disney World is a worthy discussion, though no on will win it.  But I do think it makes a valid excuse to visit both.