Friday, January 28, 2011

MOMA, New York City

I recently visited MOMA - The Museum of Modern Art, in New York City. I had never been there before, part of the reason that I choose the museum for a day with a friend in New York City. Over the years I've been a little hesitant to go to MOMA, I'm not into modern art. I'm not even much of an art person anyway, but how could I not visit MOMA at least once?

Well, I'm still not much of a modern art person, but I did still enjoy my visit to MOMA. If nothing, I did get to add my own comentary to some of the art, I might have had better stories then some of these artists. There were a few things that made me wonder what "art" is - because if that was "art" then this whole art thing is BS - because that piece was NOT art. Sorry for the rant, but there were one or two pieces that I felt were cop-outs.

I did enjoy the Andy Warholl special exhibit, it caught the eye, drew you in and was fun. There were also some amazing pieces. Van Gough's Stary Night, I'm not a huge Van Gough fan, but Stary Night is an amazing piece - the color, the detail - it speaks to me. And who didn't have Monet's Water Lilies on their dorm room wall? 4 of the 250 panels are housed at MOMA. It's great stuff to just sit down for a few minutes and stare at.

There were other exhibits and pieces that I liked, and I now have a frame of reference for some artists that I had previously heard of but didn't know what type of art they created. If you're into art, then MOMA is a must visit when in NYC. If you're not an art person, then I wouldn't put put MOMA at the top of your list of things to do in NYC. But, if you have time there is some great art work to see. Will I go back to MOMA? Maybe in a few years or if I wanted to see a special exhibit. Otherwise, I think there are other museums I would rather explore.