Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Giving it all up and taking to the road...

Ok, not me, but the thought has crossed my mind. I was at dinner the other night with my sister and her husband. Her husband was talking about how dumb a girl he used to work with is. She left his accounting firm to be a Comptroller at another company. After 2 years she wanted a very large bonus (more then most people make in a year by a lot), she got part, but not all of it. She quit her job and went to some country in South America (sorry, I can't remember which, but that's not the point.) My sister also thought she was dumb and they laughed at her wasting all her bonus in South America.

I look at my sisters life - she's a stay at home Mom and her husband makes a lot of money, but he also works a lot of hours. He's up early in the morning to beat the NYC traffic and gets home too late for dinner most nights. Subsequently, he's not the biggest help with their kids. What type of life is that? Travel isn't for everyone, but earning money to buy "things" isn't for everyone either. And when you don't get much time to enjoy your "things" are you really enjoying the life that your money provides?

FYI, I'm not saying that my sister and her husband don't have a nice life and don't enjoy their family. But I wouldn't want their lives (not that I think they would want mine either.)

Naturally, the day after having this conversation I read this blog post, thanks Gary for reaffirming my feeling that this woman wasn't dumb.
You can find Gary at http://everything-everywhere.com he's got AWESOME pictures on his blog.