Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reality vs Expectations

I appologize for the lack of posts, I've been having log-in issues that I'm trying to sort out with Google, so on with the post...


Whenever you go on a trip you have certain expectations about what to expect and what will be the highlights. Often though things go differently then planned.

Sometimes it's simple things - when I went to Scandinavia and Russia I was excited to see the hermatige, go bobsledding and seeing the midnight sun, among other things. The hermatige was cool, but not a thrill, nearly feel asleep walking around. Bobsledding was fun, equivalent to a tame rollercoaster. The midnight sun was really at 11:45 and it was cold and windy. The biggest highlight? Berlin at world cup hanging out in the fan mile. I'll write about that another day. In Egypt I couldn't wait to see the great pyramid, but it was a bit disappointing, for a great pyramid. The Valley of the Kings were really cool, so was Abu Simbel and the hot air baloon ride at dawn. I'm still disappointed by the Great Pyarmid, but seeing these other things more then made up for it.

You can plan every aspect of your trip, but things will happen and force you to change plans. Getting lost, museums being closed, plane problems, lost luggage - the list goes on and on. But you need to embrace these things and adjust to the challenges they create. Often a good story will come out of it. What fun is it to come home and tell everyone about how your trip was perfect, exactly as planned?