Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wireless Aircards

When I travel domestically to one place I usually bring my laptop with me. The problem is figuring out how to connect to the internet. Some hotels have free internet and others charge an arm and a leg. Disney charges $10 for 24 hours of WIRED internet. For $10 shouldn't I get wireless?

A while ago I looked into getting an aircard from ATT, but the cost was so high that I scrapped that plan. I needed to not only get the aircard but I had to get a 2 year service contract too. I pay enough for phone and internet, I don't need to add to those bills. Plus it was an expensive service. You would think that Cell phone companies could make some good money on rentals or pay per use, but it doesn't exist, yet.

The other day I went to the Best Buy Moble store at my local mall and asked the guy if anyone rents aircards. He said that no one does right now, but there are some companies that are looking to start doing that. He couldn't offer a time line, but it was nice to hear that it is a possibility in the future. There are a couple companies who are doing it online, but then you have to deal with shipping back and forth, and the costs are still pretty high, starting around $100 for a week and that's just for use in the US. The guy did also say that in europe there are aircard rentals available. Hmmm, maybe one of these days I'll have to consider taking a laptop with me on a trip overseas, though I don't think I'll be doing that this year.