Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yellowstone - Yellowstone Falls and West Thumb

Moving past the less attractive sites of Mud Volcano and Mammoth Hot Springs to some of the nicest spots in Yellowstone today I'll talk about Yellowstone Falls and West Thumb.

Yellowstone Falls are beautiful, my picture of them even made it my bathroom.  Yes, that is actually a compliment, it was not easy to find the perfect picture that was serene, beautiful and the right colors to hang in my bathroom.  At the falls there is an overlook/photospot, there are a few stairs here, but you can see the falls without climbing the stairs, it's just not a great view from there.  For the more adverturesome there is also a hike here.  I am not a hiker, if you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know hiking is not my thing and I actually have a fear of hiking down hill, falling to my death is NOT on my bucket list.  The hike is about 45 minutes and not too strenuous.  There is a bit of up and down hill, but if I can do it, then the average healthy person can do it too.  But it does offer some great views and a breathe of fresh air.  I did skip the extra bit where you go down close to the falls, mostly because I wasn't sure I would make it back to the bus on time, the people who went said the hill was pretty steep and the view wasn't that much better.  Of course this hike makes more sense if you have someone to pick you up at the end.  I believe there is a bus system at Yellowstone, but I don't have a clue how it works, but it may be an option.

The West Thumb Geyser Basin is another beautiful spot at Yellowstone.  Although this is a "geyser basin" the area isn't known for its geyser activity, instead it has colorful, deep and really hot pools of water.  We stopped at the Abyss and Black Pools.  The pools are beautiful and unique, and just a treat to see.  This area also provides a great view of Yellowstone Lake.



Yellowstone Falls and the West Thumb Geyser Basin should be on everyones list of places to stop at while in Yellowstone.  They are beautiful and offer totally different landscapes and pretty ones at that. They are also very different landscapes then Mud Volcano and Mammoth Hot Springs.

Have you been to either?  Which is your favorite?