Friday, August 19, 2011

Ebook Review - Getting Out of Auto (with your camera)


I recently got the opportunity to review a new Ebook - Getting Out of Auto Photo Ebook.  This was quite timely because my last trip to Europe (Cruise from Barcelona) was the first trip when I shot primarily in manual or other priority modes.  I'll admit it was occasionally a hassel, but at other times it was a fun challenge.  I also got some really great photos, and I loved hearing the compliments about them!

I highly recommend that anyone with a camera take a little time to learn about the different settings.  Even if you're happy with your Auto mode photos, occasionally the only way to get a decent photo is to play with the settings - sunrise, sunset, or night shots are prefect examples of when you'll want to know your camera.

Back to the book...

I really like the way the book simplifies Aperture, ISO and Shutter Speed with different types of examples.  I have  to admit though, the more I think about Aperture, the more confused I get, I think I have a block.  It has some relevant examples, the type that make you say, "Oh, that's how I get that effect, I love that look!"

The author does a great job of explaining the "rules" of photography, not only the what, but the why.  Knowing to use the rule of thirds is one thing, understanding why it makes a better photo allows you to use it more effectively.

I found this book very interesting, even though I've started to shoot in manual modes, I was reminded of how much more I still need to learn about photography.  But remember, you can read all the books you want, if you don't go out and practice and try different things you wont improve.  My biggest complaint about the book? I was trying to take a photo in Lake George and couldn't get the settings right, a week later while reading this book I figured out my problem.  Maybe I should have read faster!