Friday, July 8, 2011

Haggis: When in Rome, do as the Roman's do!

 My appologies for not posting much lately.  My mother's recovery has been very slow and has left me little free time.  I'm starting to get myself organized and starting to do some normal things again.  I may still miss posting occasionally, but I have started some posts, they just need finishing and some photos. 

I have another issue which may cause some delays.  This blog is hosted on Blogger, which is owned by Google.  There are rumors that Google will be rebranding blogger, which worries me that they'll be changing blogger too.  I have been considering moving the blog to Wordpress, which I'm not researching.  I've heard some good stories and some bad stories about this type of move.  If everything goes as easily as it could go, you'll probably just notice a new face to the blog.  If things go badly, who knows what will happen.

On with the post...
I am not in any way shape or form an adventuresome eater.  I would be happy eating a cheeseburger for dinner every night if it meant I didn't have to try something new and weird.  Yet, when I travel I tend to live a little more dangerously:  escargo, foie gras, etc.  Well on my trip to Scotland I tried, yes, Haggis.  Hey, when in Rome do as the Roman's do!

I have to say, it actually tasted pretty good.  The only problem, I knew what was in it.  Gross parts of sheep!  I'll spare you the details and let you look it up for yourselves.  It was actually so good that I continued to try it 2 or 3 times, but in the end, I couldn't get past the mental picture of what was in it and didn't eat much.  They do make vegetarian haggis though, I think maybe I should have tried that, it obviously doesn't have any gross sheep parts in it, and based on the taste it would be quite edable.  Maybe next time.

So when in Scotland, eat Haggis!  And if you like your sheep alive and saying bhhhhaaaaa, then try the vegetarian version.