Monday, July 20, 2009

The Indie Travel Podcast

I've tossed around the idea of talking about this podcast for a while, the Indie Travel Podcast. It's one I've listened to for a while, but never fell in love with, but could never quite place my finger on why.

Craig and Linda talk about travel, they have been traveling for a couple years now and work while traveling to afford their traveling. Like, I said, I liked it but didn't quite love it, they've just seemed a little different from me and my style of travel, but some shows have been true gems so I've continued to listen. Well I finally figured out why I haven't been able to click with them. Craig and Linda were discussing a book - Wanderlust and Lipstick. While they enjoyed the book they were a little irked at times by some of the US centric stuff in the book, they used the word "grate." Once I heard that I realized I was dealing with a cultural divide with Craig and Linda and that was what was grating them in this book was what was grating me about them. If I recall correctly they are from New Zealand.   Now that I've figured this out I know where to go with talking about them.

They offer a lot of really usefully information about travel, particularly if you're interested in independent travel. However, their personalities may not mesh with Americans at first. But if you can look past this cultural divide (aren't travelers supposed to be open to other cultures?) and accept that they may do things differently at times then you can learn A LOT from them. So go ahead and listen a bit and make your own decision, you'll learn in the process, I promise