Friday, June 19, 2009

Experimental dining on a cruise

One of the nice things about a cruise is that your food is included. This helps when you want to be daring with food. I'm not the most daring but knowing that I can get a good quality something and that I don't have to pay for it is a nice thing. I once tried escargot on a cruise, which I don't imagine I would have done in many other places. I didn't like it and didn't have to finish it, but I tried it. Actually, I'll admit it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. On this past cruise I tried a couple things at the French restaurant - Frois Gras and Scallops. I didn't like the Scallops at all, but the Frois Gras was good enough that I ate two whole pieces of it. But I wouldn't go to a restaurant and order it. I also tried edamame, again, not bad but not good either. I had a chance to try this at home a few weeks before the cruise and wouldn't do it, but I tried it on the cruise. There is a power in the safety of a cruise and its dining options that you get in few other places. It allows you to experiment in safe way and may you'll learn you like something you didn't think you liked or never would have tried.